I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Bowing Down is Not an Option (& Isaiah 1-4)

Yesterday, we packed into Central Christian Church to await a message from Reverend Dr. William Barber.   Stained glass windows, carved wooden pews fixed to a sloping floor modeled after the gatherings on hills, all felt familiar--but a familiarity that I had almost forgotten.  I remembered Dad's dark robe with a red stole.

That Southern Indiana church was as broken as our country is now as Israel & Judah were then.  The air was filled with caustic gossip.  Tribalism overcame values.  As an immigrant nation targeting immigrants, as a people of God worshiping at Asher poles.  Sometimes the air is so stale that a flash of lightening is needed to bring the rain.

I remember Dad's proclamation: If this church was as full of gospel and gossip these wall would be filled.

Isaiah proclaimed: Hear me, you heavens! Listen, earth! For the Lord has spoken:
“I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me. The ox knows its master, the donkey its owner’s manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.”

And Rev. Dr. William Barber taught us that you must stand your ground, when bowing down is not an option.  

The stakes are high and the time is now.    

No comments: