I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

1 Kings 12-22; 2 Chronicles 10-23; Obadiah & Psalms 82-83

I really lost my morning routine.  Oh well.

Since last updating, we've had the major events of Elijah, the rulers through Joash & Jehu.  Obadiah, which is about the fall of Jerusalem, and seems kind of out of order, and one of the most interesting Psalms.

God presides in the great assembly;
he renders judgment among the “gods”:
“How long will you defend the unjust
and show partiality to the wicked?
Defend the weak and the fatherless;
uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.
Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

“The ‘gods’ know nothing, they understand nothing.
They walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
“I said, ‘You are “gods”;
you are all sons of the Most High.’
But you will die like mere mortals;
you will fall like every other ruler.”
Rise up, O God, judge the earth,
for all the nations are your inheritance.

I really dig how some polytheism has slipped into the canon.  I love the quotes around gods added by NIV.  Compare with the NSRV.

There is so much to say about Elijah and the histories, some of the richest story telling in the Bible, but I'll just make a couple of observations.  The extent to which Jesus is written of as a new Elijah is pretty amazing.  And, the empire in decline motif really hits home.

No comments: