I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Proverbs 7-9

So, there is stuff I like and stuff I don't like here.

I like, "Di a la sabiduría: «Tú eres mi hermana», y a la inteligencia: «Eres de mi sangre»."  Wisdom and intelligence seem to be under assault these days, and I like the idea of celebrating them.  I don't like Chapter 7's vilification of the woman--a prostitute & adulteress--but I super don't like the way the man is described as a naive victim like an animal that falls into a trap.

Chapter 8 personifies wisdom even further.  Including some language that is reminiscent of Genesis 1 and the conclusion of Job. "Fui establecida desde la eternidad, desde antes que existiera el mundo."

Chapter 9 clarifies that the gift of wisdom is not limited to those with natural skills.  Rather, Wisdom invites the simple to "Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of insight.” In Spanish, "Dejen su insensatez, y vivirán; andarán por el camino del discernimiento."

The foolish and the cynical are the targets of scorn in Proverbs.  I am rarely seduced or tempted by ignorance, but cynicism, to be sure, has a certain appeal.  It is good to be reminded to stay on the path of discernment.

No comments: