I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Proverbs 30-31

So, I guess we were already done with Solomon since the next two chapters aren't his.  The are from Agur and King Lemuel.  Agur is mostly a very weird metered saying, there are three things X and a fourth Y.  This bit seemed familiar.

7 “Two things I ask of you, Lord;
do not refuse me before I die:
8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
Cf. "Give us this day our daily bread and deliver us from evil."

I'm not saying its the source of the Lord's Prayer, just noting the similarity.

The wisdom of King Lemuel is a typical middle road passage as from the rest of the wisdom books.  Be good to the poor, stay clear of the powerful, live the middle life.

The final passage, identified as "Epilogue" which always makes me suspicious, is the description of the Good Wife.  Which is cringeworthy of course.  It is an acrostic poem, so I'm not sure how seriously to take it anyway, but it actually isn't as awfully sexist as it could be.  Here.

No comments: