I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Psalms 131, 138-139, 143-145

Psalm 131 - little me loves the YHWH, and so should Israel
Psalm 138 - YHWH is great, and everybody knows it
Psalm 139 - omniscient, omnipresent YHWH and a special psalm for many
Psalm 143 - psalmists need YHWH quick like
Psalm 144 - psalmist also seeks YHWH's hand, although less urgent than 143
Psalm 145 - many parts, all praising YHWH

Analyzing Psalm 139, I wonder about how it felt to read this in a time prior to surveillance.  Today, Psalm 139 has some creepiness to it.  Specifically, "You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. . . . You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me."  Also the psalmist describes it as wonderful, I'm not sure.

On the other hand, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb," to me points to the image of God as being all things.  If God is knitting me together in my mother's womb, isn't God me or my mother?

It also has some challenging theology that springs from the praise. "Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."  This praise of God's great knowledge threatens all of free will. I think that would be a misapplication.  As severe a misapplication as, for example, using this passage as anti-choice justification.




No comments: