I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Ps. 1-2, 15, 22-24, 47, 68

The first two Psalms are your typical God blesses us variety.  They are neatly placed immediately adjacent to a story about God pretty much not blessing someone in the person of Job, but that is an accident of later organization.  Psalm 24 follows a similar pattern, but add the metaphor of opening the gates for the King of Glory to enter, which is cool.

Fifteen also connects to Job for me because in Spanish the word "intachable," which means blameless appears.  This psalm celebrates that only the blameless--and other good quality type people--can live the Lord, in his sanctuary or mountain.  Also reminds me of the "Kingdom of God" imagery which comes later.  Psalm 23, maybe you've heard of it, also includes a proclamation of living in the house of the lord, forever.  I wonder if it means forever after, or just straight up forever.  Seems like the latter to me.

Then Psalm 22 stands out among the Book I selections from today because it is about anguish and keeping faith despite feeling abandoned, and even laughed at by friends.

The next couple are from Book II.  I can't really see a pattern yet.

Psalm 47 is like a pop hit that includes lots of "sing to the lord" type gimmicks.  From Psalm 68, I like "Padre de los huerfanos y defensor de las viudas" as un nombre de Dios.  Psalm 68 is also interesting because it starts with a command almost, May God arise.  And may God's enemies be dispersed etc.  It is an interesting structure.  Like, "who are you talking to?"

So, my love/hate relationship with the Psalms continues.



No comments: