I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Job 6-9

This is some intense story telling.  It occurs to me, if you omitted the bits about God and the Adversary--with whom, btw, I notice God uses the familiar tu, rather than usted--how would we read Job.  Would the intensity of Job's anguish be sufficient for the reader to understand he truly is blameless (intachable)?

The completeness of his anguish is captured for me when he laments that he would hope for some relief in his bed, but, "even then you frighten me with dreams and terrify me with visions/aun alli me infundes miedo en mis suenos; me aterras con visiones!"  Job 7:14.  Have never experienced anything like the grief Job experiences, I nonetheless find it ring true that he oscillates from "Therefore I will not keep silent/Per lo que a mi toca, no guardare silencio" to "Since I am already found guilty, why should I struggle in vain/Y ya qe me tienen por culpable, para que voy a luchar en vano?"  Job 7:11, 9:29.

Interesting note: Even as academically illegitimate as such readings are, I couldn't help but notice Job's lament, "If only there were someone to mediate between us [and God], someone to bring us together." Job 9:33.  I am betting that more than one evangelical sermon has been preached on that verse as foreshadowing the coming of Christ.

No comments: