I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Job 29-31

As we continue to hear from Job, it occurs to me that this book has much, much more to do with social justice than I realized.  I have typically seen it only as a warning that bad things happen to good people, which probably wouldn't take 42 chapters to say.  However, I think it is very interesting to read an ancient text where the main character is so clear that he doesn't deserve this because he has been good to the poor.  

Consider this list of sins he insists he has not committed

[31:1 Not a lech]
Yo había convenido con mis ojos
    no mirar con lujuria a ninguna mujer.  


[31:13 Not a bad boss]
Si me negué a hacerles justicia
    a mis siervos y a mis siervas
    cuando tuvieron queja contra mí


[31:24 Not money obsessed]
¿Acaso he puesto en el oro mi confianza,
    o le he dicho al oro puro: “En ti confío”?


These sins seem pretty subtle and modern.  

Interesting Note: Best biblical euphemism I've come across so far:

Si por alguna mujer me he dejado seducir,
    si a las puertas de mi prójimo he estado al acecho,
10 ¡que mi esposa muela el grano de otro hombre,


If my heart has been enticed by a woman, or 
if I have lurked at my neighbor's door, 
then may my wife grind another man's grain.

Job 31:9-10.

4 comments:

Matt Dick said...

This is where Job stats to get at the themes of the whole Bible generally. Social justice is the true theme of the whole Bible. Themes on the existence of evil, the origins of humanity, global floods, the existence of angels, what heaven is, afterlife. antichrists, and any other host of opinions like abortion, homosexuality, etc are just side issues.

JimII said...

Agreed.

Matt Dick said...

I should probably say that I'll stop posting crap I know you already know and stuff that's likely wrong or childish if you'd like. I just am enjoying the reading and decided that rather than just read silently, if I post small thoughts that pop into my head then at least you get enough feedback to know someone's reading.

I do know that I'm no biblical scholar.

JimII said...

Please keep posting!