I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Exclusive Salvation

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:6-7.

Let me paper over the distinctions between the various notions Salvation, and allow me to take for granted that coming to the Father equals Salvation. Conceding that, what does this scripture mean in a multicultural world? Does it mean that non-Christians are denied Salvation? I think so. But I'm not sure if I have a problem with that interpretation.

Can one achieve enlightenment through studying Jesus? I can't imagine that they could. Can one live a Kosher or Halal life by meditating on a koan? Can reading the Quran lead to Hindu detachment?

No comments: