I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 72 (New Temple)

[reaction to OYB's August 5-7 readings]

The first new temples is the one in Jerusalem. The Israelites are overjoyed that Cyrus has allowed them to return to their homeland. King Darius of Persia is king when the second temple is completed. Ezra and Nehemiah are pretty fragmented, but I think these passages are effective in conveying the emotion. Ezra 3:10-13; 6: 13-15.

The second temple is us. It is in First Corinthians that we have the idea that your body is a temple, but read this and tell me if it sounds like an anti-smoking message. "Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple." It reads to me more like a transition from a community centered to an individual centered religion. But that's just me. The rest of the third chapter has some interesting stuff about God being more important than the messenger, whether Paul or Apollo(?).

2 comments:

Matt Dick said...

I think it does work perfectly as an anti-smoking message. It's clearly about keeping the body uncorrupted, and I think that works spiritually and physically.

slikish

JimII said...

Really? Okay. Well, that's how it gets used most often. I was familiar with this scripture used to condemn abusing one's body with everything from cigarettes to tatoos. When I came across it in the letter it just struck me as completely not talking about that stuff. But, how things strike me is not really the definitive analytical tool.