I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Saturday, November 06, 2010

Day 67 (More Editing)

[reaction to OYB's July 21-23 readings]

So both Kings and Chronicles blame Rehoboam's decision to listen to the young punks advising him instead of the elders as the reason that Jeroboam is able to break Israel in half. It seems like a modern idea for some reason. But, maybe not. A rebuke of the younger generation.

From Paul, we get a bit of an eye into his world view. "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Paul was a slave to sin. Specifically, at least in the written translation, he is a slave to the "members of [his] body." Rom. 7:23. However, we've run across another scrubbing of the scripture in the online version. Remember while reading Leviticus we came across an example of the NIV editors adding the modern term "homosexuality" to the Scripture. Well, this talk of Paul having trouble the members of his body--a little to close to Reverend Haggard. So, here's the sanitized version. At least the footnotes include the word "flesh." See here. Troubling.

No comments: