I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Friday, September 03, 2010

Day Three

Today's readings included the conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount, Matt. 6-7, stories of Abram & Lot, Gen. 16-23, excerpts from Psalms 7-9, and the beginning of the second book of Proverbs. Not a great day for the ladies.

We start off with it being Sarai's idea that Abram have a child with Hagar and "and gave her to her husband to be his wife." Gen. 16:3. Then through out she gets upset with Hagar for being uppity. Next you have Sarah laughing at the idea of having kids at her age, getting called out for it, and then lying about it. Gen. 18. Although, it is kind of bogus to point out Sarah's laughter since in Gen. 17:17 Abramaham has the exact same reaction. ("Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, 'Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?'") Also, Lot's daughters get him drunk to continue the race. Gen. 19:30-38. Except, there is town, Zoar, that they literally just left. So, I'm not sure why they thought their dad was the only choice for a mate. Even the passage from Proverbs get in on the lady bashing, claiming that wisdom "will will save you also from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words, who has left the partner of her youth and ignored the covenant she made before God. For her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead." Prov. 2:16-18.

Of course, in modern times we've out grown blaming the seductive woman, haven't we?

Oh, on another family values note, Abraham runs into another king, and again tells the king that Sarah is his sister, and again causes problems for that king. But that king is spared because God comes to him in a dream and tells him the truth about Sarah. The kings asks Abraham, "What the hell, man?" And Abraham explains he was a coward and all that, but, "Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife." Gen. 20:12. Only in the Bible, or Kentucky.

5 comments:

Matt Dick said...

Didn't you and I spend the better part of a year debating where our enlightened western values came from? I'm feeling on firmer and firmer ground all the time... thanks for doing my work for me!

hemova

JimII said...

Well played.

On a serious note, you are absolutely right if you are talking about the modern family structure--a man and a woman who are married for life because they love each other. That is clearly not a Biblical invention. Is it a Western Civilization invention or a Western Church invention? Maybe.

Matt Dick said...

...a man and a woman who are married for life because they love each other. That is clearly not a Biblical invention. Is it a Western Civilization invention or a Western Church invention? Maybe.

I really don't know. I'm sure there are many histories of marriage written that we could consult. I will do a little research.

orsping

JimII said...

Indeed. My goal with this project is to basically put my head down and read through the whole book in a relatively short period of time. For the most part, I am avoiding commentaries and outside research. Not because those things are without value but because (1) I don't want to get derailed from completing the read through and (2) I wanted to get a feel for what impression it makes on me reading just the words in the book.

Now, obviously I haven't been compeltely successful in that, particulary on issues I care about. But, you know, I'm doing my best.

Matt Dick said...

Given your goal, it is particularly foolish of you to conduct this reading in public, since you are easily drawn into in-depth discussions...

spine