I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Day Four (Non-Genesis)

I'm such a sucker for stories that Genesis has sucked in most of my responses. I will comment generally about the other sections I've been reading. Having read Matthew through 9:17, I am noting that Christ's miracles are becoming more public, although I also recognize that they came after his teaching. Matthew works hard to demonstrate that Jesus is the Messiah of whom the prophets were speaking, but also makes it clear that if the establishment doesn't want to come along that is just fine with him.

The Psalms have never really done much for me. I have initially chalked that up to my academic inclination, but have read portions of the first 10 (there are 150) they do seem to mostly be about battle hymns. They are generally to YHWH. And they seem--so far anyway--to contain equal parts God-help-us and God-kill-them. I've been pretty crossly scolded on the internets for expressing such an opinion about Revelation before, but I'll take the chance of publicly confessing that I am less inspired by some sections of the Bible.

Proverbs is an interesting book to me. The theme is that if you follow the way you will be rich and happy. And, lets not shy away from the rich part. Certainly the book contains cautions about being obsessed with money but Proverbs 3:9-10 is pretty typical: Honor YHWH with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. So, that's pretty much talking about wealth. I don't think, however, that Proverbs is talking about divine intervention. I think it is saying, God's way is the best way. The fact that it creates the "good life" is proof of that.

No comments: