I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Monday, September 06, 2010

The Bible and Masturbation

While working my way through the Bible, I came across a Scripture frequently taken out of context. I thought I would offer it up for consideration. It concerns masturbation.
Judah got a wife for Er, his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. But Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the LORD's sight; so the LORD put him to death.

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.
Gen. 38:6-10 I know what you are thinking, "But, Jim, that scripture isn't about masturbation it is about using the pull out method of birth control. And, actually, it isn't even about using the pull out method of birth control--which, for the kids reading this blog is highly, highly discouraged due to its complete lack of effectiveness--but is about using the pull out method of birth control when you have a "duty" to conceive a child with your brother's widow, which I don't think really comes up much these days." Well, you're right. I don't know why I even brought it up.

No comments: