I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Outrage & Justice

A friend who is Mormon was expressing concern about the lack of voices decrying the vandalism and intimindation being directed against the LDS church in response to California's rejection of Prop. 8. I was pleased to find a condemnation (which may be late in coming, I don't know) in the first article I found on the topic.
While claiming it was incorrect to assume the suspicious powder came from gay protesters, the Utah Pride Center, an advocacy group of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, decride all vandalism aimed at the LDS Church in a written statement released Friday. "The Utah Pride Center is deeply troubled by the recent vandalism of LDS churches and the suspicious mailing to the LDS Temple," the statement read. "These actions are deplorable and make our entire community fear for our safety." . . . Equality Utah, [a] political advocacy group working for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people has released a statement urging civil and peaceful expressionas and conduct. "There is no room for violence, vandalism or indimidation--Equality Utah objects to these acts," the organization's statement said.
Full story. If you follow the link you will get the details on the attacks the Mormon Church has had to endure.

This Slate article is in line with what my Mormon friends report about the Church's policy, which is more accepting that many fundamentalist churches. They condemn homosexual acts, but do not see homosexuality as a choice and would accept someone who was openly gay but chose celebacy as a response to his or her feelings.

Now, I would find it unimaginably horrible if someone said it was fine that I was attracted to women but a sin if I acted on it. I think the LDS community is wrong and it causes serious harm to its members who are gay. My point is only that the church's position is less hateful than many churches, and it is unfortunate that it is bearing so much of the outrage over the injustice that is Prop 8, Prop 102, etc. [UPDATE: I think the "only" is misplaced. The lack of hatefulness is a significant difference.]

Oh yeah, and just for kicks here's something that purports to be historic. Link.

4 comments:

Matt Dick said...

I have a politically active friend in California who says that the Catholic church was much more active (and much more effective) in fighting prop 8 than the LDS church.

James Parsons said...

I think you mean "supporting" prop 8, not "fighting."

JimII said...

This is why it is frustrating to see the Mormons be so targeted.

Matt Dick said...

Yes, James, supporting Prop 8.