I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bill Clinton Makes Me Sad

Bill Clinton did many good things for the United States and the Democratic Party. Most significant to me, he effectively administered the federal government, including the budget and under his administration the United States was a force for peace in the world, admired by other nations. He gave in too much to social conservatives' agendas on gay marriage, welfare reform and judicial appointments.

With the unchecked rise of social conservatives in recent years, I've come to resent his failures more. But, like many Clinton admirers, this campaign has turned me off completely. And this quote helps explain why:
"If a politician doesn't wanna get beat up, he shouldn't run for office,” the former president said in Parkersburg, West Virginia. “If a football player doesn't want to get tackled or want the risk of an occasional clip he shouldn't put the pads on."
CNN. The problem is not that Obama is being treated badly. Like Bill Clinton, I "don't give a rip" if Obama's feelings are hurt. The problem is that Bill is hurting the chances of electing a Democrat President. His comments do not address the problem, and, take another shot at one of the two people we want to be president by implying he is weak.

If Clinton had said that the November election is a long way away and that Barrak & Hillary would have to face any of these things eventually anyway, then fine, that is a comment I can accept as justification. But this, "stop being a baby" narrative is more garbage and more evidence that the worst caricatures of the Clintons are closer to true than I wanted to believe.

2 comments:

Matt Dick said...

I agree with some of what you've written. I'd add that Pres. Clinton's willingness to stoop to racist pandering is worse. I guess it's along the lines of your argument about reducing the likelihood of a democratic president, but I think the racism part is egregious enough to almost put it in another category.

JimII said...

That's a good point.