I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Teams


This is a picture of the Seaton family. According to the Detroit free press, "For the Seatons, who are both represented by UAW Local 22, the national strike against GM is a family affair because -- like many families in metro Detroit -- they are a union family." When I was in third grade I missed a few weeks of school because my dad was on strike against Indianapolis Public Schools. We have a picture of me at age 9 carrying a picket sign. My grandfather was a shop steward at the rubber plant. So, despite my distinctly management professional history, I strongly sympathize with the strikers. I view them as showing solidarity; I see them enduring hardship now to make a better future for the workers down the road.

Of course, it is possible that management has the best interest of the company in mind. I say that it is possible because I am an analytical person. In my heart, I can't get over my unresearched opinion that corporate executives have not had to sacrifice as auto sales drop, or that many of GM's woes are the result of poor vision on the part of management, and not lack of work ethic from the laborers.

My point today, is that we have to be ever vigilant against blind support of our teams--of the groups with whom we identify. It is in fact another aspect of loving our enemies. It is a necessary step to following the golden rule. It is a crucial aspect of legitimate dialogue.

I'm surely going to still vote for pro-labor politicians. Nonetheless, I think the pause is valuable.

No comments: