I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

What does it mean?

What does it mean to believe in Resurrection while you are at work? What does it me to believe in the Holy Spirit while you are in the grocery store? What does it mean to believe in God while paying the mortgage?

It is good to celebrate the mysterious in ecstatic praise.
It is good to work in the service of the hungry, the thirsty and the naked.
It is good to press you mind into service to understand the great questions of the universe.

I believe in each of these, we see a little bit of God. And that is good.

But what does it mean to be transformed so profoundly that even in your daily living you believe in these things.

2 comments:

Josh Gentry said...

This is only sorta on topic. I was reading the Wikiquote page for Vonnegut.

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?"

JimII said...

I think that is a very good question. I think it is a real question, and not a rhetorical one, as I suspect Vonnegut intended it.

Is there something different about Jesus and MLK/Gandhi/Buddha? Is there a difference between Jesus/Buddha/Mohammad & MLK/Gandhi?

I have an inclination that to the second question the answer is surely yes. I also think the answer to the first is yes. But this is just the kind of question that I want Christians to examine. And not refuse to look at because they are scared of what they will find.