I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fear


I have no place else to put this, so pardon the non sequitur.

I was born in 1970, my son was born 24 years later (which means we have the same animal sign in the Chinese Zodiac) in 1994. So, I was twelve years old in 1982-83, and he's twelve now. Which one of us should be allowed to ride his bike around the neighborhood all from after school until dinner?


From http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/vage.htm

3 comments:

Matt Dick said...

Thanks for the comment. I saw something somewhere -- gotta love my mind,like a steel sieve -- where an elderly man looked at his son (about our age) and said, "Your's is the generation of "stay safe"".

True, and sad.

JimII said...

In fairness, violent crime may be less that it was even in the 1970s BECAUSE of some safety measures we take. But I doubt it because the adult numbers track.

Living in fear sucks.

Matt Dick said...

I think social scientists have pretty credible evidence to suggest that worry and fear is steady in humans, and we just pick things to worry about. As it happens, in the western world there's just nothing real to worry about, so we pick the default position of being afraid our children will be abducted and that we'll all die of whatever is most reported in the news.