I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Children & Authority

For the children's sermon on Sunday, I'm going to use the story, "The Emperor Has No Clothes." http://hca.gilead.org.il/emperor.html

I wonder what this story will tell them. Does the Church ask them to see clothes that aren't there? If it does, I don't want it to. I want them to have the courage to say what they think and feel. I think they should never fear the truth.

When Peter stood before the Sanhedrin, the authorities felt that there was no need for reform. The old ways were working best, and, unless Peter et al. were heretics (and nobody wants to be a heretic) they should conform to the thinking of the Church. But, silly Peter did not know any better than to tell the truth about what he had seen and felt.

No comments: