I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Jeremiah

The book of Jeremiah is full of stuff like this, "'Your wickedness will punish you; your backsliding will rebuke you. Consider then and realize how evil and bitter it is for you when you forsake the LORD your God and have no awe of me,' declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty" [Notice, God doesn't say God will punish them, but their wickedness will punish them. Hmm.]

It's a real downer, and Jeremiah is called the weeping prophet. I'm tempted to come to a modern day version of Jeremiah some times. When I see how divided the country has become, even on what is happening. We've created conservative news, and now a few liberal news outlets. There is a conservative version of Wikipedia. There are conservative scientists. And, they are conservative versions. The other folks didn't set out to be liberal, they were doing their jobs and found to be too liberal. How can we fix a country so divided on ideology that it is dividing on facts and objective truths?

I think about too much of the church standing by while Ronald Reagan vilified the poor: Welfare Queens. I think about some of church standing by while Bill Clinton had a sexual relationship with a girl more than a generation his junior. We were wrong to stand by. I was wrong to stand by.

For those who believe Reagan won the Cold War or Clinton created a peaceful and prosperous country, I don't mean you can't support these guys politically. What I mean is, as Christians we should have cried out more at their abuses.

And as we stand so divided, willing to destroy our personal liberties, blame the victims, misuse our scriptures, spend without restraint or concern for those exploited for our benefit and preach hate in our churches, I'm afraid that only something dramatically bad can bring us back. Sometimes abundance brings out the worst in us. I really fear that abundance is about to be taken away. Perhaps that will end up being a good thing. A hard thing, but a good thing.

No comments: