I LOVE comments. Please leave some even if they are brief half-formed ideas
that you aren't even sure you really believe. I just love comments.

Monday, December 01, 2008

Traditional Values from Hollywood

This weekend we went to see Four Christmases. First off, as a movie I think it totally delivers. I enjoy Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon, I also like Starbucks and McDonalds. They served hot buttered popcorn at the theater and it was generally very pleasant. Exactly what I wanted.

Of course, the point of the movie is that we really all need to get married, childless relationships based solely on having fun are completely empty. How many movies are like that? Hundreds, right? I know a number of couples who just do not want to have children. I know a number more who haven't decided one way or another, but aren't sure. I know a few other people who are just happy being single, and don't need to be permanently attached to another adult. I wonder if those folks would find this little inoffensive romp from Vince & Reese so inoffensive.

I am very happily married. I love my children and my church. I suspect, although I can't be sure, that such a traditional set up is so traditional because it works well for many people. But whether it is generally best to live the life of JimII it certainly is not always best to live that life.

It relates to marriage equality in that I feel confident that I am unqualified to tell any specific person what his or her path to happiness is.

1 comment:

Matt Dick said...

I know nothing. I love my life but I know nothing.